My final block for the Curve it Up sampler quilt is completed. I’m writing this from an altitude of over 14,000 feet after having about a day to recover from the pain…
I created this block using the suggested “scrappy” method where the middle of each spool is strip pieced from small scraps at least 5″ wide. The result was that I misjudged the amount that a long pieced curve stretches while gingerly fed under the pressed foot. I literally scrapped three spools before I settled on a method that let me trim them to the correct size.
This block requires that you trim to 4 1/2″ x 8 1/2″ by lining up the rectangle on points of both curves. If your sides stretch, at least one of those points does not fit.
Tip1: Starch everything.
The starch will help limit movement of the fabrics and seams cut on th bias. I was not successful until I did this.
Tip 2: Fewer seams = less chances for stretching as the seam bulk goes under the pressed foot. ( I tried making the spool using a solid middle, and was successful the first time.)
In the future, if I am in a scrappy spool mood, I have another idea. I plan to stabilize the center of the spool using a very lightweight fusible stabilizer. I think this would eliminate my issues with the bias and stretchy seams.
I’m really looking forward to piecing my borders and sashing next. I hope your spinning spools go smoother than mine did. Never give up, even if they make your head spin! They do turn out pretty.