Stargazing in winter might seem ideal as you have more uninterrupted viewing hours. However, shivering in a Kansas field doesn’t sound like best way to take in the stars. I prefer to quilt! At least that hobby keeps us warm in the 60 degree winters…
Was anyone else part of the warm spell last week? My kids were running around outside in sweatshirts complaining that they were hot. Sigh. It didn’t stay warm, so they are back inside, bouncing off the walls and each other. We had to declare a moment of silence this evening for our sanity.
Last weekend was so productive! Since the kids were enjoying an unseasonably warm day and my husband was working on a project, I was able to quilt.
Making up for lost time I managed to longarm a Minecraft quilt for the school auction, create a log cabin paper piece pattern for my friend, and finish a few small blocks and projects. I’m saving some of the other projects for later posts, so no pics, but you can see the Winter Star block from the Farmgirl Vintage book.
One thing great about the Farmgirl patterns is that you rarely work with bias. Take the star point for instance. Instead of cutting parallelogram pieces on the bias, you start with a rectangle and sew two squares on, similar to creating quick half square triangles. The bias is never exposed, so your block stays nice and squared up. I love this!
If you only sew the desired line, you end up with triangle waste on each end. However, if you are tricky you could create smaller half square triangle blocks for your next scrappy quilt by making a second seam line 1/2″ away from the first, and trim between the two stitch lines. I really should do this more often! They might be handy in scrappy or mini quilts.
I said no pictures, but I’d better share this mini that I finished from a BOM club my Mom has gifted me. 🙂 Prairie Point Quilt and Fabric Shop has a fun Tiny Dresden BOM program that started this month. The pattern is for hand applique dresden with embroidered sayings. Of course, I love my machines, so tried to figure out how to beautifully finish this mini using a scanner, custom digitizing and embroidery, and longarm quilting. Alas, the buttons were too small, so I had to hand stitch those on! In February, I will give a run down on how my experiment worked and what I would do differently next time.